Monday, March 7, 2011

Riding Kuldotha Red High and Low


Found this Picture on the MTG website, isn't it cute?

This week was back to back Magic (Again!) FNM on Friday, MBS Gameday 1 on Saturday and MBS Gameday 2 on Sunday.

FNM I went 3-1 finishing 6th out of 23
Gameday 1 I went 2-3 and place 16th out of 25
Gameday 2 I went 4-0-1 and placed 2nd after I dropped out in the finals and let David Baldowski take first place. 2nd out of 14

Gameday 1 didn't really went so well as I made so many mistakes on deciding the right call for my turn. So I went back and tweak the deck, change it into the all in build and totally Mirran deck and forgo playing Boros on Sunday. (And this was my only chance of playing it before I return those Stoneforge Mystic to Jem!)

Gameday two I went 2-0 for my first two game against Henry Kay's Knight deck and Jack Rowley's CawBlade with a splash of Red (Gerry Thompson's build). Henry couldn't find his sideboard so I lent him 3 Kor firewalkers, 1 Divine offering, 1 Revoke Existence and 4 Journey to nowhere to be his sideboard for the day, which I later learn to 'almost' regret. More on this later.

Jack was playing a control deck so round one was an easy game for me since I WON the die roll (Loss every single one yesterday). Game two he was on 8 when he slagstorm me clearing my board. I dropped a signal pest and kicked it with bushwhacker bringing down to 4. (At this point someone sitting next to me joked, you thought the assault was over once you cleared the board didn't you Jack?) He then played Stoneforge Mystic to fetch Sword of Feast and Famine. I attacked for 2 (Bushwhacker with battlecry) and he took it, and then played a rebirth my signal pest. I had Contested Warzone in play. He drew for the turn, the concede as he had no outs to it.

3rd game was against Kieran (Valakut, yay for him beating Mark Riley in the mirror!). We ID (since we only need to have two wins and a draw to guarantee ourself for a top 8 spot.) Might as well guarantee to get a Full Art Black Sun Zenith. I explained to it that we will definitely be in the top 8 and will be paired down since we are only on 7 points. He nodded to my reasoning and we just ID (Intentional Draw). We played two games though with him winning game 1 due to a slightly less aggresive hand by me and I won game 2 despite getting slagstorm. We decided not to play round 3 and leave it as it is otherwise one of us would be regretting that we had  ID.

Game 4 was against a mirror match, David Baldowski. He was on 3 win and in order to get to top 4, I needed to win this match. (Its just to get some extra booster).  He won first match due to a more explosive hand and him starting first. I had exactly the same hand except he went first and I was swarmed by Goblins. Game two I had him on 2 life and me on 14. He tried alpha strike me for lethal by casting a Hero of Oxid Ridge with Goblin Chieftain, Goblin Bushwhacker and Memnite in play. He casted it , tapped and say deal 14 damage to you. I calculated the damage and pointed out it was 12 damage and I survive and asked can we go to the third game then? Since I will be swinging for lethal the next turn. He look, untapped his lands and return the Hero to Oxid Ridge and said, okay I decide I don't wanna attack after all. Of course I wasn't letting him win since this would mean he would have won 2-0. So I called for the judge and say he attacked, it wasn't lethal and I pointed out to him and now he wants to retract it. Judge rulled that once we enter and declare combat, we can't reverse anymore.

I felt like a prick for doing this but well, I just don't want to lose. I promised Kat that I won't lose to anyone today.

So we went to top 4. David, Kieran and I secure our spot but guess who was in as well? HENRY! The Knight Deck I fought in my first round. I was paired up against him and so this was his opportunity for revenge and this is also a point where I kinda regret lending him a sideboard that works so well against my deck :p.

He lost the die roll so game one went to me, game two was tricky as he resolve a hero of bladehold and I still had to bring him down from 8. I managed to cast my Masticore but couldn't survive the onslaught and needed one extra turn.

Game three was tricky with him having 3 5/5 indestructible knights and me having mere 1/1s and 0/1s. He was on 2 so I just need to top deck a burn spell. I manage to get 2 Hero of Oxid Ridge instead so they gave my 0/1 Signal pest +2/+0 due to battle cry and since he doesn't have any flying creatures. I was in for the win!

David Baldowski won his match up against Kieran , an easy match up for us since it was Valakut so we were paired for Finals. Still feeling guilty for enforcing the rule on him I conceded and game him the win :). At least that made up for my guilty conscience.

*And only later in the night I realised he actually had 1740+ points so it wasn't really worth it. I could really knocked some points out of him to get my 1700+ ratings goal. But mirror match is really like a coin toss and I did feel guilty...

So my deck behaved for the day :) I'm loving it when it does!

Now its 4am, and I'm gonna do my Foundation of Finance coursework and CSCW Blog essay coursework. Payoff of playing during the week.



No comments: